Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Intonarumori nearly finished

Here's my finished Intonarumori. OK I've still got to varnish and tidy it up.


 Here's a close up of a small brass pulley wheel I put on the sliding mechanism this improved the performance.
 I also put a smaller pulley on the lever arm this again improved its working my not tightening the string when it was drawn back. This was happening before and making the sliding bridge not move smoothly.
 Finally I added and alternative spinning disc which plucks the string.
Here's it in action,
I'd still like to improve the tone it doesn't have the nice rasp that Jonnda's has. I will try his recommendation of using cello resin on my smooth disc.

I now hope my sons will try it out at one of their Circuit Breaker gigs. https://circuitbreakerband.com/

Well it took me nearly 6 years to finish this project. I must now turn my attention to the Laurie Anderson Violin I was making.

Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Return to the Intonarumori Tuesday 10th April 2012

Gosh it's been over 8 months since I've worked on this. I'm now determined to get it finished, but a few problems remain. Using a guitar machine head to tension the string seems to work well however a guitar bridge on the bridge does not. There is too much friction here when the bridge slides. I'm going to craft a small metal pulley instead which will turn. I'm also not sure about the tone a metal gauge 42 guitar string gives and the wood rubbing against this string. I will have to experiment here.
It may sound better when enclosed.
Here's a shot of the guitar machine head.
And here's the problematic guitar bridge on the slider.